Razorback runner fights back after injuries

Stephanie Brown has been running for half of her life.

She started her journey in sixth grade, running track for Tri-Valley Middle School.

Now, as a senior at University of Arkansas, she is a fierce competitor in the NCAA. At the NCAA Championships in June, Brown took a sixth place finish in the 1,500 meter race.

But perhaps more impressive is the obstacles she had to overcome to get there.

In February of last year, a vendor brought in an abdominal machine to test the core strength of various athletes in the Arkansas program.

“I was thinking, ‘I have abs, I’m going to be the best,’” said Brown, looking back on that day.

But after a nine-mile run earlier that day that left her very fatigued, it might not have been the best idea.

“I got on there and did the machine. The next day I felt something in my lower back and glutes,” said Brown, who soon found out she had pulled her right piriformis muscle and strained her back. “It all was kind of downhill from there.”

With only two weeks left until the Southeastern Conference meet and four weeks until the NCAA Championship, Brown wasn’t going to left a little discomfort get in her way.

“I ran on it for a week. I even ran a race and did great,” said Brown. But her situation continued to deteriorate rather quickly. She was forced to take two months off from running in order to nurse herself back to health.

“One of the worst parts happened during a massage after my injury. I was reading through a magazine and I got to the rankings for the indoor Nationals. It had me ranked first in the 800, and I knew I wasn’t even running by then,” she recounted.

Brown had to redshirt for the outdoor season due to the injury, giving her time to rest and recover before she took on the Olympic Trials.

Having already qualified for a chance to run against the nation’s best, Brown came back with six weeks to get in top shape. Despite having “not a lot of time to prepare,” Brown describes her performance at the trials as “okay.”

When Brown began training again for the cross country season, her injury which she was still recovering from started getting worse. Her left hip began bothering her severely, so she turned to the doctors to see what was going on.

“[The doctors] couldn’t figure out what was wrong with my hip. I had every injection possible and tried every single thing,” explained Brown, who eventually was sent to St. Vincent Performance Center in Indianapolis, Ind. for a solution.

Brown had been diagnosed with Tensor Fasciae Latae Muscle Syndrome, better known as TFL Syndrome. When she originally injured herself and started running again, she began to overcompensate for the pain. This caused the TFL Syndrome and weakened the muscles in her backside.

“Throughout the injury, I tried to look at it in a positive way,” she explained. “I’ve never been so low in my life and hopeless. I kept telling myself my career was over and that everything I’d ever wanted and planned for was gone. It was like someone stole something from you.”

But her career wasn’t over. After a lot of therapy and rehabilitation, she was ready to get back to her routine. The injury helped her learn a few things about herself.

“I appreciate the sport more now, and I realized how much I love it,” said Brown. “I also have a soft spot for everyone else I’ve known that’s been injured.”

Around January of this year, Brown was back to full strength and running on the track; and it wasn’t a day too soon with only six months before she would face the toughest field of collegiate athletes in the nation.

During the NCAA Championship this year for outdoor track, Brown took on seven other All-Americans in the 1,500 meter race. The race was nothing short of intense as she describes it.

“I wanted to win. There are 12 girls and only one winning spot. There were eight All-Americans in the race,” she said. “I ran so hard I can’t even remember all the thoughts I had.”

While sixth place is a great achievement when facing off against the best competition in the country, Brown knew she could’ve done better.

“There were some mistakes I made,” she admitted. “You have races that go perfectly, and you have races that go okay; this was an okay race. There are 11 girls that can say their race wasn’t perfect.”

One thing she does recall from the day was sitting in a tent after her race and remembering the whole experience as a journey.

“I looked at it as a journey from where I was. I’m ecstatic about it. As an individual race, I wasn’t super thrilled about it; as a whole, I’m truly a believer that things happen for a reason. There was a reason why I didn’t win this time,” Brown said.

The sixth place finish this year has led the All-American runner to push herself even harder before she wraps her career as a Razorback. With three seasons left to compete at the collegiate level, Brown wants to make her mark before she leaves.

“The goals of this year are probably the most immense,” admits Brown. “I feel like there’s more pressure toward actually doing well. You have to do well in college to get a contract [once you graduate]. I have cross country first, and we have a big team goal with a great team. I want us to be in the top three finishers, and being a leader for that and being involved is just a big goal. For the indoor season, I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to win a championship for myself. I want us to do well as a team also. And for the outdoor season, it’s all about continuing consistency and grabbing a top place at nationals.”

After completing her outdoor season in Arkansas, Brown headed home to Downs for a much-needed visit.

“This is the first year I’ve been home since my freshman year,” said Brown, who will be stationing herself in Downs for a month this time. “I haven’t been home for more than eight days in three and a half years.”

But just because she’ll be home doesn’t mean her training stops. A short two-week break was all she took before kicking her training into high gear again and preparing for the cross country season this fall. Her goal for the summer is to log 60 miles per week to get in shape, but she admits that it won’t be 60 miles every week.

“Your body can only take so much,” said Brown, who had to learn that lesson the hard way. “Breaks drive me crazy, especially after my six-month break. But they are still vital and important within training. As much as training and running hard is important, you have to take care of yourself on the outside also.”

So for now, Brown will call Downs home a little bit longer. But when she returns to University of Arkansas and gears up as a Razorback once again, her eyes will be focused on setting some new goals for herself and her teammates.

Behind the Laces with Stephanie Brown

It’s no secret that University of Arkansas runner and Tri-Valley alumna Stephanie Brown loves to run. She’s a fierce competitor in practice and during a race, but what about off the track?

When Stephanie was younger, her brother took up running as “a social thing,” according to his little sister. But when Robert, their father, took Stephanie along one day, it changed her life.

“Dad asked if I wanted to go to a 5K race and I said ‘sure.’ At the race, there was a family friend who had a daughter that was a really good runner for Normal West. She told my dad that he had to get me running shoes. That’s when I started it,” said Stephanie. She once thought she was a soccer player, but something better about running changed her mind at a young age.

Her abnormally fast times in middle school and high school caught the attention of more than a few NCAA Division 1 colleges, so Stephanie had her pick of full ride offers.

“We had some family friends that lived in Arkansas. They told me it would be a good fit, so I put it on my list of places to visit,” said Stephanie. “When I got there, it just seemed right. I liked the city. I liked the coach…everything seemed to be put right in place, and it made it very easy for me.”

When she isn’t running (which is rarely), Stephanie likes to express her creative side.

“I guess I would call myself an artist,” she admitted. “I like to pain and make clothes for friends. Art is a pretty important thing to me, so I like to stay creative in any way.”

In the classroom, Stephanie majors in communications at Arkansas. But ultimately, she hopes to run professionally after college.

“I hope that I can continue to be involved in the sport in some way, even if it isn’t running. I want to help people and be there for some of the issues I’ve seen throughout the years with the sport,” she explained.

One thing that Stephanie has experienced herself that she wants to help with is the pressure, especially in younger athletes.

“I really want to help younger kids cope with stress and pressure. Pressure is everywhere in the world and when you’re a kid, you don’t understand what that means and how to handle it,” she explained.

Stephanie recalls plenty of times when she was younger and felt scared lining up for a race. But she credits the support system of her parents, staff at University of Arkansas and friends from the area for helping her overcome that.

“My support system has just been awesome,” said Stephanie. “Maybe some kids don’t have that. If they could have my help or someone else’s help, maybe it could help them.”

One way that she wants to help accomplish this is by doing well, for herself and her school.

“I want to do well for opportunities that go along with doing well. If people know who I am, then maybe I can help them,” said Stephanie. “I want to be able to continue in this sport and help them when I’m long gone.”

And for future runners and current runners, Stephanie gives some great advice she’s learned throughout the years.

“Make sure it’s fun for you at a young age. Don’t be too serious until it needs to be serious,” she advises. “Believe it or not, Illinois is the only state I’ve ever heard of with middle school state championships. If it’s not fun, you’re not going to want to do it.”

Categories (2):News, People

Comments

Leroy Farmer City Press embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

confidence wrote on February 24, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Un tableau de calcul semble avoir remplacé l'homme Android PDA commune demande squelette céramique bracelet en alligator automatique mouvement de montre automatique est un excellent moyen de voir le pouvoir, mais il est aussi une honte de se cacher sous opaque dialThere

replique montre

parihot wrote on April 23, 2016 at 5:04 am
Profile Picture

Your articles are more than wow! And also the best way to make understand the things mentioned in it. Key West To Miami Tours

vivienne.leopold2 wrote on June 13, 2016 at 6:06 am

Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. top backlinks

jackman10 wrote on June 23, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Profile Picture

Samira Laser Clinic in Scarborough should be your only choice for laser hair removal. Our precision equipment carefully removes your hair while keeping your skin soft and glowing. We specialize in laser hair removal, facials and microdermabrasion. Private investigation Singapore

robinjack wrote on May 10, 2016 at 1:05 am
Profile Picture

Samira Laser Clinic in Scarborough should be your only choice for laser hair removal. Our precision equipment carefully removes your hair while keeping your skin soft and glowing. We specialize in laser hair removal, facials and microdermabrasion. We also perform waxing and sell laser hair removal machines! Samira Laser Clinic

robinjack wrote on June 08, 2016 at 12:06 am
Profile Picture

Your Voice is the Karaoke app for you if you have ever harbored a secret desire to be a music star with your own bevy of fans. Your Voice is the app for you if you have ever wished to craft and create successful music on your own. Your Voice will guide you and help you practice to be a better singer and performer and also share your performances with the rest of the world. It will be fun and quite easy to sing along to your favorite song. In fact, you can also record yourself singing or dancing in a video. At the click of a button, you can send this video to all your friends and loved ones, as well as professionals in the music industry. Sharing videos is compatible with social medias. We use in an immense database of all the songs and music videos that you could ever think of. We are constantly updating our collection of music from YouTube and cataloguing them each and every day. This means that you will have an unlimited music library that you can use to create your own karaoke video and music tracks at your own pleasure. Get Your Voice today and tap into that hidden talent for amazing results! karaoke nhac song

thomasqq wrote on December 05, 2016 at 10:12 am

This specific genuinely perhaps a great offered i the truth is genuinely liked perusing. It's not at all actually standard i add the option to assess a unique issue. pay to write my essay

thomasqq wrote on October 22, 2016 at 9:10 am

I considered out your blog since In relation to around seen so much in connection with your articles or blog posts. Get Rid Of Herpes ebook

micheal hatrick wrote on March 03, 2016 at 1:03 am
Profile Picture

Pomáháme vám a vaší rodině kvalitněji bydlet za méně peněz. Certifikované, patentované a světově ověřené technologie. Zděné domy a dřevostavby na klíč. dum na klic

davidwarner491 wrote on April 30, 2016 at 4:04 am

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me. learn more

leryd1 wrote on June 05, 2016 at 3:06 am

To a great degree respectable blog and articles. I am realy extraordinarily energetic to visit your online diary. weblink

Farturen wrote on March 06, 2016 at 7:03 am
leryd1 wrote on April 05, 2016 at 3:04 am

I've beginning late made a site, which I have been planning to finish for quite a while. A promise of appreciation is all together for this post, it's genuinely significant ! http://www.luxtime.su/miu-miu-handbags

davidwarner491 wrote on April 30, 2016 at 6:04 am

Great, This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned. mobile locksmith services

micheal hatrick wrote on March 12, 2016 at 5:03 am
Profile Picture

how to increase twitter followers I should assert barely that its astounding! The blog is informational also always fabricate amazing entitys. twitter retweets free

davidwarner491 wrote on April 19, 2016 at 6:04 am

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign! best smoothie blender

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

This is such an extraordinary asset, to the point that you are giving and you give it away for nothing. I adore seeing sites that comprehend the benefit of giving a quality asset to free. It is the old what circumvents comes around schedule Source.

jackman10 wrote on March 14, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Profile Picture

Blue Paisley Fine Rugs is Toronto’s newest premier provider of luxurious high quality rugs offering the widest selection in size, colour and services. We believe that every fine rug tells a story and manifests a tradition; it is an investment for generations to come and selecting one should be a tailored fulfilling experience. Our family works closely with our clients and suppliers to ensure that every selection leads to satisfaction for decades. persian rugs

leryd1 wrote on March 22, 2016 at 5:03 am

It was to an awesome degree all around formed and clear. Not in the scarcest degree such as extra areas I have inspected which are truly not that marvelous. La Meilleure Machine a Expresso et Cappuccino

leryd1 wrote on March 24, 2016 at 1:03 am

I am going to bookmark your site and keep up looking at for new of the plastic new information.how much do diapers cost a month

samjohn wrote on March 25, 2016 at 6:03 am

facebook likes That appears to be excellent however i am still not too sure that I like it. At any rate will look far more into it and decide personally! buy youtube likes

alikhan_1987 wrote on March 29, 2016 at 5:03 am

I encourage you to read this text it is fun described ... truck accident lawyers cartersville ga

leryd1 wrote on March 31, 2016 at 6:03 am

A commitment of thankfulness is all together to share such post and please keep it up. how to get free xbox live

leryd1 wrote on April 03, 2016 at 5:04 am

I am constantly looking at online for articles that can help me. There is clearly a mind blowing course of action to consider this. instagram followers app | insta liker

leryd1 wrote on April 06, 2016 at 8:04 am

Much obliged for an incredible offer. Your article has importaciones your consistent work and experience you have in This field. https://twitter.com/leilataunila/status/716850939139858432

davidwarner491 wrote on April 07, 2016 at 7:04 am

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! buy facebook likes | buy facebook followers

jeffrocker wrote on April 08, 2016 at 2:04 am

Wow this is a content that could be a premise for a movie. She has gone through all hell and still was able to succeed in killing it with her firm determination and love for the game and the passion that she has for the sport. :::: at&t internet plans:::::

jeffrocker wrote on April 11, 2016 at 2:04 am

I am happy to see that she is have a bash after the low key she had in the past. I also can see that this victory over the previous defeat shall inspire a lot more people to also fight for what they aspire for. directv packages

ha91070 wrote on April 18, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I read that Post and got it fine and informative. buy 100 youtube views|buy twitter followers india

jeffrocker wrote on April 26, 2016 at 2:04 am

Wow she is a great example for a phoenix. She did fight her way from the ashes and risen above to be a great star now. She has thereby inspire many to do the same in their lives too. directv choice package

Kerry Jefferson wrote on May 09, 2016 at 2:05 am

I am sure she will always remain to be a fighter and an icon among all the athletes out there who are looking for a positive vibe to be inspired from. You have shown a great zeal of dedication young girl. [ anti snoring devices ]

davidwarner491 wrote on May 10, 2016 at 6:05 am

I also benefit from learning the assessments, but learn that alot of people ought to stay on essay to try and add worth in the direction of the authentic weblog release. hcg

davidwarner491 wrote on May 16, 2016 at 6:05 am

Great, This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned. Banquet Halls

davidwarner491 wrote on May 21, 2016 at 6:05 am

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. best ironing board

Sandymaria wrote on May 26, 2016 at 4:05 am

Glad to know more about Stephanie Brown who got NCC championship trophy after clenching 6th place in the 1500 meter for the University of Arkansas. It is very good news that she is ready to fight back after her injuries. All the best wishes for her. mozzarella cheese recipe

ha91070 wrote on May 28, 2016 at 11:05 am

This is a brilliant blog! I'm very happy with the comments!.. Make Him Desire You Review

sirking79 wrote on June 07, 2016 at 10:06 am

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! info about anabolics

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 01, 2016 at 7:09 am

While companies can opt to do their own SEO, choosing a SEO organization that has knowledgeable web website optimizers will no doubt, help companies reap ROI in the long run. One of the best methods companies can do that is by outsourcing their SEO needs to certified SEO organizations a knockout post.

sirking79 wrote on June 18, 2016 at 2:06 am

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information... Children Learning Reading Review

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 02, 2016 at 7:08 am

Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting she said. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 05, 2016 at 6:08 am

Our experience has shown that most individuals do not need an broker to find and implement for insurance plan helpful hints. At best, a quick call to the organization providing the strategy options is all that should be needed.

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 10, 2016 at 6:08 am

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business look here.

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 12, 2016 at 6:08 am

Much thanks to you for another awesome article. Where else might anyone be able to get that sort of data in such an impeccable method for composing? I have a presentation one week from now, and I am on the search for such data she said.

Shahrukh12 wrote on August 26, 2016 at 6:08 am

Again, you've just showed why you are the no.1 writer in the world right now. I always enjoy reading your articles. I just hope you will continue to give us more stuff like this Source.

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 03, 2016 at 3:09 am

It works a very computerized evaluation that can save you a whole lot regarding time. If you have ever achieved your own personal seo look here, you should understand that the fundamental job should be to operate problems looking search engines on the search conditions and see exactly how perfectly you as well as other websites do.

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 10, 2016 at 1:09 am

Organization organizations, whether big or small, involved in online promotion recognize the importance of seo for overall achievements. Hence business owners often evaluate and evaluate SEO solutions that are done in-house or contracted read this post here.

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 12, 2016 at 1:09 am

If you have special needs such as you want to sign a legal agreement, you want a specific pay routine, or you have any questions, ensure that you get solutions and are relaxed with the estimated outcome then progress look here.

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 21, 2016 at 3:09 am

Keyword vividness is a useful gizmo to tinker with look for motor outcomes - but it's not necessarily the device you want to exploit when you're trying to persuade consumers to truly interact with what you're offering. (And interact with them in such a way that they come back for more look here

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 23, 2016 at 5:09 am

A receiver is the most important your pedal in my viewpoint. If you are not enjoying in track, than it's going to audio bad complete quit Going Here.

Shahrukh12 wrote on September 24, 2016 at 5:09 am

The obligation of SEO professionals is to create exposure to businesses. They focus on SEO Internet marketing goals and provide top serps like Google and Google. However, to accomplish all this, web developers use SEO custom solutions, which have long-lasting SEO Google position click to investigate.

c0workers wrote on December 31, 2016 at 5:12 am

Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food likewise, Thanks. http://voyance-amour-eternel.com/

nish gau wrote on March 14, 2017 at 8:03 am

Your articles are very informative with lots of new ideas and innovations. Nice to find such informative blogs over internet. These are really impressive. GTA gaming for free. here on this mentioned website get access to all games form gta and also grab the best offer available of free gta money from GTA online gaming from gta 5 money cheat. It has various collection of games to explore and grab them all for free. Get amazing offers from GTA for free and enjoy gaming.